Monday, November 22, 2010

Folding metal





I decided on plate to make up these pieces because it would use less material I then had to work out how I was to make a flat object make up volume. I found a way to fold it where I forged the plate over a metal tool that I made with the use of another tool with a V cut into it


I would first make a curved dome like shape then I would put the ridge in the back by using a V shaped tool then forge a curve into this would make it stronger because the curved ridge made it stiffer and it also gave it the strong lines I was looking for


The success of this technique led me to make better tools I modified some panel beating tools. These worked better because there was a larger surface for forging and I also made a tool with a deeper V so it did not scar the metal so much.


And even tools to make the curve go the opposite direction to the opening I would later make another one of these tools when I got more panel beating tools.


No comments:

Post a Comment